Boat Registrations and Recreational Skipper's Tickets

PDF version

PDF: 526 KB

New boat registration arrangements PDF: 471 KB

Number: D29/2016

Date: 9 November 2016

Relevant: Christmas Island

Topic: Boat Registrations and Recreational Skipper's Tickets

New arrangements for the registration of recreation vessels and recreational skipper's tickets (RSTs) will be introduced on Christmas Island. The Department of Transport (DoT) in agreement with the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development will be administering registrations and RSTs as per the Navigable Water Regulations 1958 (WA). This will result in a more streamlined process that reflects Western Australian practices.

Boat Registrations

From 1 December 2016, the registration of recreational vessels owned by residents of Christmas Island will be managed by the DoT. 
For further information about the changes, requirements for registration, fees and payments, please refer to the attached factsheet or contact DoT via email: or phone: 1300 863 308.

Recreational Skipper's Tickets

From 1 December 2016, the process of obtaining a RST will also be managed by DoT.  
A person must have a RST if they are in charge of an RST vessel and the vessel is being operated in the water.  An RST vessel is any boat that: is registered; or required to be registered; is used for recreational purposes; and is powered by an engine with more than 6 hp (4.5 kW).

To obtain a RST you must pass an assessment by an authorised provider.  Information on providers can be found at: under the ‘Kimberley’ region.

There are no government fees or charges associated with the RST, however the authorised RST training provider will charge fees for the assessment and for optional training.  

Any queries regarding the new process can be directed to DoT via email: or phone: 1300 863 308.

Jadranka Matijas
Indian Ocean Territories Perth Office