Following is a range of Regional related publications.
RDA independent review
The former Minister for Regional Development commissioned an independent review of the Regional Development Australia program in September 2016.
The Hon Warwick L Smith AM was the appointed Independent Reviewer, and he delivered his final report to the Australian Government in December 2016.
The review researched, considered and reported on three themes:
- The RDA program framework;
- The governance and administration of the RDA program; and
- Alignment with Australian Government policy objectives now and into the future.
Mr Smith's Review found that although the Australian Government should continue to play a role in regional development, a new approach was required to enable the Government to heighten its focus on initiatives that grow local economies, promote opportunities, attract investment and build capacity and confidence.
Information about the subsequent reforms to the RDA program is at rda.gov.au.
Regions 2030—Unlocking Opportunity
Regions 2030—Unlocking Opportunity outlines the Government's investments, achievements and future direction for rural, regional and remote Australia across five key areas: jobs and economic development; infrastructure; health; education; and communications.
Progress in Australian Regions
Progress in Australian Regions is a new series of publications to provide information about Australia's regions from a range of different sources. Together, the publications provide a detailed picture of the population, employment, economic and transport trends that are occurring across Australia—both in the cities and in regional Australia. They provide an understanding of the nation's overall economic and social wellbeing which is vital for future planning. Australia is a large country and each region faces its own opportunities and challenges. These publications will help governments, private investors and the local communities to identify trends that are important for policy development and investment decisions.
- Yearbook 2017 is a statistical resource that can help answer the question of how regions are progressing against economic, social, environmental and governance indicators.
- State of Australian Cities 2014–15 is an important tool for all levels of Government in understanding where our cities are performing well, and where there are opportunities for improvement.
- State of Regional Australia 2015 illustrates the different ways in which regions change and takes into consideration such aspects as population growth, economic wellbeing and social progress.
Northern Australia Transport Study
The Northern Australia Transport Study (the Study) is an initiative of the Our North, Our Future: White Paper on Developing Northern Australia. The Study considers key transport challenges for Australia’s North, and identifies strategic opportunities to improve transport connections: PDF: 2168 KB