Factsheet: Arts Animates—Creating Vibrant and Cohesive Communities through the Arts
Sponsored by the Department of Communications and the Arts
About the Sponsor
The Department of Communications and the Arts develops and administers programs and policies that encourage excellence in the arts, helps to protect our cultural heritage and supports public access to and participation in arts and culture in Australia. The funding and support the Australian Government provides helps artists and organisations shape our cultural landscape, increase cultural diversity and inspire, educate and entertain audiences across Australia and around the world.
The Australian Government believes all Australians, whether in regional areas or major cities, should have access to artistic and cultural activities, performances and exhibitions. Experiencing art, whether as a creator, participant or audience member, can inspire and challenge us, provoke new thoughts and ideas and give us fresh perspectives on the world.
In sponsoring this category award, the Department of Communications and the Arts recognises the important role local government has in creating vibrant local communities through arts and cultural activities.
For more information go to www.communications.gov.au
Arts Animates Award
This award recognises local governments who:
- create vibrant, cohesive communities that use arts and culture to support community wellbeing
- embrace diversity and encourage social inclusion through community participation in artistic activities
- leverage arts and culture to improve community sustainability and increase local economic opportunity
- celebrate local identity to both grow and attract creative talent and investment
- support new arts or cultural activities that encourage commercial success for artists and arts organisations, including through promoting cross-sector partnerships, networks or collaborations
For example, councils could enter projects for this award which involved:
- fostering opportunities for the enjoyment of the arts through broad community engagement with professional arts and cultural projects
- a boost to the local economy from the installation of community driven artworks
- creating opportunities for professional development or employment for local artists including: skills development, training or mentorship program linking emerging artists and communities with established professional artists
- showcasing emerging and experimental art forms initiated from creative collaborations and partnerships
- support for arts initiatives that have enabled young people, people with disability or Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples to develop skills and share arts and cultural activities with local or broader communities
- designating public and private places for street, visual and/or performance art with strong community engagement
- developing innovative art projects underpinned by partnerships with the business community;
- establishing a local community arts, craft, music or theatre group and hosting associated public performances or exhibitions.