Administrative arrangements for Australia's territories
A Federation in These Seas: An account of the acquisition by Australia of its external territories by Alan Kerr
- A Federation in These Seas: An account of the acquisition by Australia of its external territories, by Alan Kerr—Part 1 PDF: 5803 KB
- A Federation in These Seas: An account of the acquisition by Australia of its external territories, by Alan Kerr—Part 2 PDF: 5771 KB
- A Federation in These Seas: An account of the acquisition by Australia of its external territories, by Alan Kerr—Part 3 PDF: 5562 KB
Australian Capital Territory
- Australian Government response to Canberra a Capital Place: Report of the Independent Review of the National Capital Authority
- Canberra a Capital Place: Report of the Independent Review of the National Capital Authority
- Joint Standing Committee on the National Capital and External Territories' report on the role of the National Capital Authority
ACT cross border water resources
- Memorandum of Understanding between the ACT, NSW and the Commonwealth of Australia on ACT and NSW Cross Border Water Resources 2006 (as amended and taking effect on 17 August 2006) PDF: 943 KB , and
- Summary of Legislative Responsibilities—Cross Border Water Supply between the ACT and NSW PDF: 940 KB , (Schedule A to the above MOU)
Indian Ocean Territories
- Indian Ocean Territories Budget Overview 2017-18 PDF: 256 KB (May 2018)
- Australian Government response to the Joint Standing Committee on the National Capital and External Territories report: The strategic importance of Australia’s Indian Ocean Territories (May 2018)
- Christmas Island Rockfall Risk Management Plan (March 2018) PDF: 20417 KB
- Christmas Island Emergency Management Plan (March 2018) PDF: 13315 KB
- Christmas Island Disaster Recovery Plan (March 2018) PDF: 11402 KB
- Flying Fish Cove Crane and Mooring Replacement – 30% Concept Design Report (November 2017) PDF: 1893 KB
- Cocos (Keeling) Islands Sand Management Strategy—Numerical Modelling Report (February 2017) PDF: 4308 KB
- Review of Cocos (Keeling) Islands Ferry Services Contract (February 2017)
A review of the Cocos (Keeling) Islands Ferry Services Contract and services to determine if obligations and requirements under the contract were being met. The report also assessed the extent to which the contract was meeting the needs of the Department and included recommendations for improvement. The findings assisted contract extension decisions and several recommendations were implemented as part of the ongoing contract management activities.
- Christmas Island—VHF Emergency Communications System (July 2015) PDF: 2565 KB
- Structural Assessment of Christmas Island Skate Park (March 2015) PDF: 2045 KB
- Review of Aged Care in the Indian Ocean Territories (February 2015) PDF: 1282 KB
- Coastal Management Plan, Cocos Keeling Islands PDF: 13739 KB
- Research Project: Encouraging sustainable economic development and diversification on Christmas Island PDF: 377 KB
- Christmas Island Groundwater Project Fact Sheet PDF: 1918 KB
- Australian Government Response to the reports into Governance in the Indian Ocean Territories Interim Report: Economic Development and Final Report: Economic Development and Governance PDF: 249 KB
- Service Delivery Arrangements (SDA) Annual Report Indian Ocean Territories 2014–15 PDF: 1304 KB
- The Social and Economic Impacts of the Immigration Detention Centre on the Christmas Island Community PDF: 3378 KB
- Christmas Island Fruit Fly and Scale Survey—June 2012
- Christmas Island and Cocos (Keeling) Islands Accommodation Needs Assessment 2011—Part 1 PDF: 3717 KB
- Christmas Island and Cocos (Keeling) Islands Accommodation Needs Assessment 2011—Part 2 PDF: 4453 KB
- Indian Ocean Territories Price Index—October 2012
- Christmas Island Destination Development Report PDF: 973 KB , (April 2008 Planning for people)
- Cocos (Keeling) Islands Quarantine Station Outline Development Plan PDF: 6688 KB , (GHD consultants contracted by AGD)
- Christmas Island Light Industrial Land Outline Development Plan PDF: 6016 KB , (GHD consultants contracted by AGD)
- Australian Government Response to the report on inquiry into the changing economic environment in the Indian Ocean Territories PDF: 200 KB , October 2011
- Indian Ocean Territories Climate Change Risk Assessment 2010—Complete PDF: 9303 KB
- Indian Ocean Territories Climate Change Risk Assessment 2010—Part 1 DOC: 9463 KB
- Indian Ocean Territories Climate Change Risk Assessment 2010—Part 2 DOC: 5796 KB
- Report for Crown Land Management Plan for the Indian Ocean Territories and Christmas Island PDF: 8163 KB , September 2009
- Indian Ocean Territories Climate Change Risk Assessment 2008 PDF: 3354 KB
- Australian Government Response to the Report on Current and Future Governance Arrangements in the Indian Ocean Territories PDF: 43 KB
The Centre for International Economics—KAVHA Economic Feasibility Study, October 2017
The Australian Government commissioned a study to identify the economic needs and potential of the Kingston and Arthur's Vale Historic Area (KAVHA), and obtain an objective evidence base to help inform future decisions regarding governance reform, infrastructure investment and funding applications. The study uses economic modelling to quantify the significance of KAVHA's current contribution to the Norfolk Island economy, and estimates its potential future contribution. Improvements to the current funding and governance arrangements are discussed.
- Report PDF: 1737 KB
Performance review Norfolk Island Gaming Authority, 30 June 2016
- Report PDF: 867 KB
The objective of this review was to assess the adequacy and effectiveness of the Authority's internal control framework (including the legislative framework, management, operations and governance arrangements) in managing its key strategic and operational risks.
Norfolk Island Gaming Authority Review of Operational Structures and Associated Costs to License and Regulate Gaming and Wagering Operations
- Report PDF: 515 KB
The Department engaged Centium to identify an appropriate operating model that would enable the Authority to fully perform its regulatory function in accordance with its legislated requirements, in addition to being able to accommodate enhanced regulatory requirements arising from the recent O'Farrell Review.
KPMG—Norfolk Island Health Service Plan, October 2015
- Report PDF: 1553 KB
This report informs Australian Government with how health services on Norfolk Island can be effectively delivered. Specifically, this report provides the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development with:
- a health service plan that provides a realistic and sustainable strategy for the development of health services on Norfolk Island;
- advice on the most appropriate model for the local community and priority areas, such as aged care; and
- recommendations, including an implementation plan.
Department of Agriculture—Norfolk Island Quarantine Survey 2012–2014
The Norfolk Island Quarantine Survey provides baseline data on which risk assessment is gathered to formulate options for future biosecurity arrangements ahead of extending Australia's border control arrangements for imports and exports.
- Final report PDF: 3094 KB
GQI Consulting—Norfolk Island Mobile Network Review Project Report
This report reviews the condition and suitability of mobile telecommunications infrastructure on Norfolk Island and provides options for upgrading the network to meet modern requirements.
- Final report PDF: 789 KB
WorleyParsons—Norfolk Island Roads Audit and Strategy, September 2015
The Australian Government commissioned WorleyParsons to undertake the Norfolk Island Roads Audit and Strategy.
The Norfolk Island Roads Audit and Strategy provides an audit of Norfolk Island's paved road system, assessing the condition of infrastructure and identifying priority improvements and redesigns to minimise road and pedestrian safety risks.
- Final report PDF: 5298 KB
Deloitte Access Economics review of Norfolk Island's Government Business Enterprises, October 2015
This report is the final of three reviews about Norfolk Island's Government Business Enterprises (GBEs).
The report provides a framework which addresses some of the elements covered under the governance requirements for GBEs. It is not intended to prescribe the detailed application of the governance framework to individual GBEs, but rather identify at a business level the core governance principles.
SGS Economics and Planning—Norfolk Island Economic Development Strategy, October 2015
The Economic Development Strategy for Norfolk Island outlines a proposed vision for the Island and principles for decision making. How the Island is currently positioned in the context of the vision is discussed within key theme areas. Actions to achieve the vision are also included.
- Norfolk Island Economic Development Strategy report PDF: 2215 KB
Joint Standing Committee on the National Capital and External Territories—Same country: different world—The future of Norfolk Island
- Australian Government response, February 2015
- Joint Standing Committee on the National Capital and External Territories report—Same county—different world: The future of Norfolk Island, October 2014
The Centre for International Economics—Economic Impact of Norfolk Island reform scenarios, November 2014
The Australian Government commissioned a report into the impact of economic reforms on the Norfolk Island economy.
The report, completed by the Centre for International Economics, was based on modelling of the Norfolk Island economy. The final report of the review quantifies the economic impact of changes to Norfolk Island's taxation, social security and minimum wages.
- The Centre for International Economics—Economic Impact of Norfolk Island reform scenarios PDF: 880 KB
Deloitte Access Economics review of Norfolk Island's Government Business Enterprises, November 2014
With support from the Australian Government, Deloitte Access Economics reviewed the operations of Norfolk Island's Government Business Enterprises (GBEs). The aim of the review is to assist the Norfolk Island Government to assess the operational efficiency of 19 GBEs and to support future decision making around their structure and operations. It is critical for the Norfolk Island community and both Australian and Norfolk Island Governments to establish a higher level of transparency in the operations of these businesses.
Other Norfolk Island publications
- Norfolk Island Community Consultations on the Joint Standing Committee on the National Capital and External Territories report, December 2014
- Review of existing child and family support services on Norfolk Island, September 2012
- Financial Statements—Norfolk Island
- Norfolk Island Economic Development Report, March 2012 PDF: 690 KB
- Report into the Norfolk Island Public Service Review, November 2011 PDF: 691 KB
- Report of the Joint Standing Committee on the National Capital and External Territories.
- Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Inquiry into Governance on Norfolk Island, (the Nimmo Report), December 2003 PDF: 1019 KB
- Report of the Royal Commission into Matters Relating to Norfolk Island, October 1976 DOC: 1638 KB
- Acumen Alliance Financial Advisory report to DOTARS on the Norfolk Island Government, November 2005 DOC: 767 KB