Norfolk Island reform
What is the reform?
In March 2015, the Australian Government announced comprehensive reforms for Norfolk Island. The action was taken to address issues of sustainability which have arisen from the model of self-government requiring Norfolk Island to deliver local, state and federal functions since 1979.
Subsequently, in May 2015, the Norfolk Island Legislation Amendment Act 2015 and related Acts came into effect. They provide for the Australian Government to assume responsibility for funding and delivering national and state level services and to establish an elected Norfolk Island Regional Council from 1 July 2016.
From 1 July 2016 mainland taxation, social security, immigration, biosecurity, customs and health arrangements, including Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme, will extend to Norfolk Island.
On 18 March 2016, the Territories Legislation Amendment Act 2016 and the accompanying Passenger Movement Charge Amendment (Norfolk Island) Act 2016 passed the Parliament. The Act continues the extension of Commonwealth laws to Norfolk Island.
Notably, the Act will make enrolling to vote in federal elections compulsory, and provide for the representation of Norfolk Island electors in a single electorate in the Australian Capital Territory. The Act also provides for the phased introduction of the Fair Work Act 2009 and associated workplace relations legislation to Norfolk Island.
Norfolk Island Advisory Council
The Norfolk Island Advisory Council (NIAC) was established on 1 July 2015 to support the transition to the regional council and to represent the community in the reform process.
Information about NIAC can be found on its website.
- 3 June 2016: Norfolk Island elects its inaugural council
- 9 May 2016: Norfolk Island Administrator reappointed PDF: 191 KB
- 31 March 2016: $13 million upgrade to Norfolk Island's Cascade Pier
- 30 March 2016: New South Wales to provide services to Norfolk Island
- 24 February 2016: Most Commonwealth laws to extend to Norfolk Island
- 27 January 2016: Delivering effective health services for Norfolk Island
- 27 January 2016: Announcing local election and future air services for Norfolk Island
- Norfolk island reforms 2015 media releases
Newsletters—Norfolk Island reform updates
Norfolk Island reform updates can be found on the Administrator of Norfolk Island web page