Kingston and Arthur's Vale Historic Area Advisory Committee
The Kingston and Arthur's Value Historic Area (KAVHA) Advisory Committee provides expert and community input to the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development to guide management of KAVHA including advice on:
- best practice techniques to conserve the existing fabric and heritage objects;
- actions which will protect and present, with authenticity, the rich and interwoven natural and cultural landscape of KAVHA;
- strategies to achieve effective governance and good management; and
- opportunities to improve tourism use and the financial sustainability of the site.
The KAVHA Advisory Committee is chaired by the Administrator of Norfolk Island, the Hon Gary Hardgrave, with the following four members:
- Ms Kristal Buckley AM is a lecturer in cultural heritage at Deakin University and a former international Vice-President of ICOMOS (International Council on Monuments and Sites). Kristal is also a member of the Port Arthur Historic Site Management Authority Board and was appointed a Member of the Order of Australia in 2013 for significant service to conservation and the environment, particularly in the area of cultural heritage and to education.
- Mr David (Dids) Evans of Norfolk Island is a landholder within KAVHA with experience in working and living on the site. Dids has a strong interest and considerable experience in conservation and major heritage restoration and renovation work. He is an active member of the Norfolk Island community and is a member of the Norfolk Island Council of Elders, the Norfolk Island Country Music Association, and a former member of the Norfolk Island Legislative Assembly. Dids is recognised internationally for his strong commitment to Norfolk Island culture.
- Mr Duncan Evans is a Norfolk Islander of Pitcairn descent. Duncan is a local business operator with extensive experience, and interest in, commerce, tourism, marketing and economic development. Duncan is a member and past president of the Rotary Club of Norfolk Island, and most recently a member of the (former) Norfolk Island Advisory Council. Duncan brings extensive experience and an ability to contribute to a sustainable environmental and economic future for KAVHA.
- Mr Kevin Sumption is the Director of the Australian National Maritime Museum and has been an executive member on the boards for the Powerhouse Museum, Museums and Galleries NSW and Royal Museums Greenwich in London. Kevin has extensive experience in museum curation, collection management, tourism and associated business management with a focus on digital curatorship and community outreach services.
The KAVHA Advisory Committee members were announced in November 2015 (for a two-year term) following a call for expressions of interest for expert members and Norfolk Island community representatives.
- Advisory Committee communique—2 September 2016 PDF: 205 KB
- Advisory Committee communique—11 November 2016 PDF: 179 KB
- Advisory Committee communique—24 February 2017 PDF: 401 KB
Information on the Administrator of Norfolk Island, including his role and media releases.
Information on the reform which commenced on Norfolk Island in 2015.