Services delivered by the WA Government

PDF version

List of SDAs as at 1 November 2017 PDF: 394 KB ReadSpeaker

WA Government AgencyService
Department of Agriculture and Food Deliver biosecurity support to minimise the impact of identified noxious weed species on the environment.

Provide policy and regulatory support to allow for the development of agricultural enterprises that support economic growth.
Department of the Attorney General Provide access to the justice system including:
  • Judicial and Non-Judicial Court Services;
  • Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages;
  • State Solicitor's Office;
  • Public Advocate; and
  • Victim Support and Child Witness Service.
Office of the Auditor General Conduct and issue audit opinions on State agency financial statements in relation to the IOT.
Breastscreen WA Provide mammography screening and assessment services.
Department for Child Protection and Family Support Provide assistance in administering legislation concerning Working with Children Checks.
Department of Commerce Building Commission—Oversee the regulation of building, painting, building surveying and plumbing services.

Consumer Protection—Fair trading, consumer rights, property sale and rental laws, some occupational licences, co-operatives, and not for profit legislation.

EnergySafety—Safe use of and working with electricity and gas.

WorkSafe—Promote and secure the safety and health of people at work.
Department of Corrective Services Provide offender management and community justice services.
Department of Culture and the Arts Promote a diverse, vibrant and sustainable cultural sector.
Support the delivery of culture and arts activities through policy development, grants and funding.
Disability Services Commission Work in partnership with service providers to provide information, and support services to people with disabilities, their families and carers, including the services of a Local Area Coordinator.
Economic Regulation Authority Promote economically efficient outcomes at the lowest practicable cost through efficient and effective independent economic regulation. Provide independent advice.
Department of Education Operate the CI District High School and the CKI District High School, providing school-based education for Kindergarten to Year 10 (CKI) and to Year 12 (CI) students under the WA curriculum.
Environmental Protection Authority Provide environmental impact assessments of local government schemes.
Office of the Environmental Protection Authority Provide administrative support to the Environmental Protection Authority.
Department of Environment Regulation Protect and conserve the environment through advice and implementation of strategies for a healthy environment to protect public health, minimise environmental impact and implement environmental policy. This includes regulation of prescribed premises, native vegetation, pollution, contamination, emissions and wastes, and incident protection and response, environmental sustainability and climate change and waste policy and programmes.
Equal Opportunity Commission of WA Provide information and advice on equal opportunity and human rights issues.

Investigate complaints under the applied equal opportunity legislation.
Department of Finance Collect state-type revenue in accordance with applied legislation and remit revenue to the Australian Government.

Sub-contract JLL to manage commercial properties. Provide advice on energy policy and regulatory matters.
Department of Fire and Emergency Services Support the provision of community safety/prevention programmes.

Assess commercial and industrial building plans, inspect completed buildings for compliance with National Construction Code and test fire safety equipment.

Undertake fire safety assessments.

Support fire and emergency services and volunteer marine rescue groups, including: training, emergency exercises, inspect and provide advice on personal protective clothing and personal protective equipment.

Provide advice on emergency recovery plans.

Provide a Volunteer Assistance Programme.
Department of Fisheries Assist with the protection of the marine environment through:
  • commercial and recreational fisheries management,
  • fisheries research and assessment,
  • fisheries community education,
  • aquatic biosecurity services,
  • fish health diagnostic and pathology services,
  • fisheries compliance services, and
  • aquaculture management and licensing.
Department of Health Provide regulatory, advisory and other support services and specialist advice to the Australian Government, including to the Indian Ocean Territories Health Service.

Provide accessible in-hospital services and care in WA.

Provide community and public health policy advice and support, and tobacco licensing services and compliance.

Provide screening mammography services through Breastscreen WA.
Health and Disability Services Complaints Office As an independent statutory authority, provide assessment, conciliation, negotiated settlement and investigation of complaints about health, disability and mental health services.
Housing Authority Provide policy advice and support for the effective administration of social and employee housing, and assist in social housing management.
Insurance Commission of WA Provide funds management, expert advice and claims handling services in relation to the operation of a compulsory Third Party Insurance Scheme and Catastrophic Injuries Support Scheme.
WA Land Information Authority (Landgate) Provide land information services, including registration of title, and geographic and cadastral information.

Provide valuation services including valuations, stamp duty assessments and valuation rolls.
Department of Lands Provide advice on the administration of Crown Land.

Document dealings and the lodgement for registration of dealings under Territories' laws to ensure interests and boundaries properly reflect the current utilisation of Crown Land
Commission Crown land surveys

Provide advice and assistance in the disposal and management of Crown Land throughout the IOT.

Provide administrative support regarding the land assembly requirements of the Australian Government.
Legal Aid Commission of WA Provide legal services, including advice, information and referral, to those in need of assistance in the community in accessing justice.

Provide duty lawyer services at courts, legal minor assistance and advocacy (legal tasks) and legal representation.

Provide community legal education services.
Department of Local Government and Communities Provide licensing, monitoring and support services for childcare providers, including family day care.

Implement programmes for social inclusion, volunteering and develop partnerships with non-government organisations.

Ensure compliance with applied local government legislation and facilitate the development of local government.
Main Roads WA Provide advice on road funding.

Provide direct support and advice to the local government on traffic management and road networks.
Department of Mines and Petroleum Register mineral titles and provide advice on associated environmental matters.

Collect mining revenue.

Ensure worker and community safety by regulating occupational health and safety in the minerals and petroleum sectors, including the storage, transport and handling of dangerous goods.
Ombudsman Review, investigate and resolve complaints about WA agencies and local governments, and improve public administration.
Department of Planning Provide planning and administrative advice to ensure the use and development of land is consistent with strategic planning, policy guidelines and planning standards.

Develop and review planning policies.

Provide professional and technical expertise, administrative services, and resources to advise the WA Planning Commission.
Planning Commission (WAPC) Provide information, advice and recommendations on land use planning, land development and infrastructure coordination.

Prepare and review land use planning policies, schemes, strategies and plans.

Regulate land use planning through statutory planning controls and planning.
Department of the Premier and Cabinet Facilitate negotiations between State Agencies and the Australian Government.

Coordinate the Territories Programme on behalf of the State Government.
Public Trustee Provide trustee services, including preparing wills and providing executor and administrator services.
Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor Provide liquor licensing services, including compliance audits and inspection of licensed premises.
Department of Regional Development Provide support of Community Resource centres and analysis of costs of living known as the Regional Price Index.
Salaries and Allowances Tribunal Inquire into and report on:
  • the remuneration and allowances, or the minimum and maximum amounts, to be paid or provided to local government chief executive officers; and
  • the fees, expenses and allowances, or the minimum and maximum amounts, to be paid or provided to local government elected members.
Department of Sport and Recreation Provide advice on the sporting and recreational infrastructure needs of the IOT.

Provide advice to sporting and recreational groups.
State Library of WA Provide local authorities and associated bodies with library materials, information and support services.
Department of Training and Workforce Development Assist in building the IOT workforce through career development and skills acquisition, including advice on Apprentice Travel.
Department of Transport Provide advice, assistance and support on transport issue including driver and vehicle licensing, vehicle safety standards, marine safety, taxi/charter (passenger transport), transport planning, aviation freight and active transport.
Department of Water Provide advice and support on licensing and water source regulation and protection.

Measure and assess groundwater and allocation of consumptive use.
Water Corporation of WA Support the administration and management of the water and wastewater services to the IOT community.

Generate and distribute electricity to the CKI community.
WA Museum Provide information and advice on the planning development, management and operation of museums as community assets.

Provide access to specialised areas of collection management, conservation and interpretation. Advice regarding the provision of interactive multimedia and online programming.

Assist community groups with making grant applications and other activities related to museum operations.

Facilitate access to sector training and mentoring programs.
WA Police Force Provide specialised equipment training to the Australian Federal Police
WorkCover WA Administer the applied Workers Compensation and Injury Management Act (1981) (WA) for the benefit of injured workers.