Amendments to Christmas Island and Cocos (Keeling) Islands Legislation
English PDF: 426 KB
Date: 24 May 2017
Relevant: Christmas Island and Cocos (keeling) Islands
Topic: Amendments to Christmas Island and Cocos (Keeling) Islands Legislation
The Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development is proposing to make the following changes to the current laws of Christmas Island (CI) and the Cocos (Keeling) Islands (CKI):
- Align gazettal requirements so that all notices are published on the Federal Register of Legislation
- The current arrangements for gazetting information on CI and the CKI allow information to be published in the WA Gazette or the CI or CKI Gazette.
- The Department proposes to simplify gazettal arrangements by publishing CI and the CKI Gazette notices as Notifiable Instruments in one central location on the Federal Register of Legislation at www.legislation.gov.au.
- Update the definition of ‘club’ in the Gambling (Clubs) Ordinance 1978 to ensure that the Ordinance operates concurrently with the applied law Associations Incorporations Act 2015 (WA) (CI)
- This change will maintain the status quo and reflect changes to the Western Australian Associations Incorporation law that is applied on CI.
A Legal Policy Officer from the Department will be available to discuss the changes and answer questions at the Indian Ocean Territories Administration office at 5pm, Monday 29 May 2017. Comments or feedback on the proposed amendments may also be emailed to IOTLegalPolicy@infrastructure.gov.au by close of business on Friday 9 June 2017. For details on how we will handle your personal information, please refer to the Community Feedback page.
Indian Ocean Territories Policy
- This consultation period has now ended.