Indian Ocean Territories
2018–19 Budget Outcomes for the Indian Ocean Territories
The 2018–19 Federal Budget provided new funding of $51.5 million to support the local communities and economic development of Christmas Island and the Cocos (Keeling) Islands. This funding will deliver improved infrastructure and support for air services to the islands, including:
- $19.6 million over the next four years to continue the underwriting of air services, currently operated by Virgin Australia Airlines.
- $27.3 million over three years to replace the wharf crane and mooring systems on Christmas Island.
- $1.3 million over two years to develop business cases for the replacement of other critical port assets on both islands.
- $1.3 million over two years for a comprehensive study of storm water management systems, which will support upgrades to these systems in the long term. This work will be undertaken in consultation with the Shire of Christmas Island.
- $2 million over two years to establish robust asset management systems to better support infrastructure and assets that provide essential services to Island communities. Improving asset management capability, and better managing assets as they age, will contribute to the delivery of quality services, as well as the safety and wellbeing of communities.