Factsheet: Excellence in Road Safety
Sponsored by the Department of Infrastructure, Regional Development and Cities
About the sponsor
The Department of Infrastructure, Regional Development and Cities contributes to the wellbeing of all Australians through planning and investing in infrastructure, and fostering safe and efficient transport systems. The department also supports a strong and liveable Australia by facilitating local partnerships between all levels of government and local communities.
The department has a range of specific functions that support the Australian Government's role in road safety. These include: administering vehicle safety standards for new vehicles, administering national road investment programs, administering the Keys2Drive learner driver program, producing national road safety statistics, and coordinating the National Road Safety Strategy 2011–2020.
Excellence in Road Safety Award
The award recognises local governments that have implemented effective and innovative initiatives to improve road safety in their communities.
Local governments may enter any road safety project in this award category including but not limited to, projects that:
- improve road or roadside infrastructure with a focus on safety benefits
- address the specific safety needs of vulnerable groups such as: older road users, motorcyclists, cyclists or pedestrians
- target specific risk factors such as: drink/drug driving, speeding, non-usage of seatbelts/helmets, fatigue, distraction or pedestrian intoxication
- improve road safety for Indigenous Australians
- address safety issues relating to heavy vehicle transport
- improve emergency medical response services for road crash victims
Favourable consideration will be given to projects that:
- have demonstrably delivered, or will deliver, significant road safety benefits, and/or
- clearly support the ‘Safe System’ objectives and action priorities set out in the National Road Safety Strategy 2011–2020, and the National Road Safety Action Plan 2015–2017, which are available online on the Road Safety website.