Factsheet: Achieving Big things in Small Communities
Sponsored by the Australian Government Department of Infrastructure, Regional Development and Cities
About the sponsor
The Australian Government, through the Department of Infrastructure, Regional Development and Cities, contributes to the prosperity of the economy and the wellbeing of all Australians by assisting local governments to manage their own futures. The Australian Government recognises that local governments provide essential services and planning for their communities, and accordingly it provides local governments with $2.4 billion annually in untied funding through the Financial Assistance Grant program.
Achieving Big Things in Small Communities Award
There are over 500 local governments around Australia that provide a broad range of economic and community infrastructure that is essential to the livelihood of local residents and industry participants. Almost 200 of these local governments are responsible for delivering infrastructure and services to communities with populations of less than 5,000 people.
Despite the challenges they may be faced with, local governments in our smallest communities are taking big and innovative steps to achieve positive outcomes.
The Achieving Big Things in Small Communities Award recognises and celebrates local governments who are responsible for providing infrastructure and services to communities of 5,000 people or less, and who are accomplishing big things for their small community.
To be eligible to enter this category, local governments must have a population of 5000 or less.
This award category is open but not limited to local governments who have:
- discovered an innovative way of providing essential local government services to a small community
- collaborated with its local community to grow the local economy
- worked in partnership with other local governments, the private sector or others, to provide local government services that may not have been otherwise available
- developed inclusive programs that support youth in finding meaningful opportunities to contribute to their local community
- used technology to connect disparate members of their community