Digital Innovation in Local Government
Sponsored by the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development
About the sponsor
The Australian Government, through the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development, contributes to the prosperity of the economy and the wellbeing of all Australians by assisting local governments to manage their own futures. The Australian Government recognises that local governments provide essential services and planning for their communities. Digital innovation in service delivery will make it easier for individuals and businesses to access local government services
Digital Innovation in Local Government Award
Every day, more and more Australians are choosing to interact with all levels of government on their mobiles, tablets and computers rather than face-to-face or over the phone. Local governments that take up the opportunity to use and engage the digital world will be able to better meet the needs of their local communities.
Going digital offers many opportunities to deliver beneficial change and reshape local government service delivery at a much lower cost. Local governments across Australia have digital strategies in place and are broadening access, system functionality and information to their local communities.
The Digital Innovation in Local Government Award recognises councils that have implemented effective and innovative initiatives to improve services through digital projects.
Councils may enter in this award category projects, including but not limited to, that:
- improve customer service delivery, demonstrating excellence in online service, collaboration and community engagement activities (online service demonstrates usability and accessibility, whole-of-government application, value for money and customer satisfaction);
- apply new technologies that change the way local government does its business (for instance, application of smart meters, asset management tracking, smart lighting);
- engage innovatively and collaboratively on the development of platforms and systems that allow local government to engage with the community and improve service delivery;
- increase online transactions for the communities benefit and convenience, and improve access and usability of public information with open data to empower the local community;
- apply advanced business analytics and real time information on the go to find efficiencies and improve operations; and/or
- use digital technologies to improve their productivity and efficiency of services.