Factsheet: Arts Animates—excellence in building innovative and inspired communities
Sponsored by the Ministry for the Arts in the Department of Communications and the Arts
About the sponsor
The Ministry for the Arts develops and administers programs and policies that encourage excellence in art, support for cultural heritage and public access to arts and culture. The funding and support the Australian Government provides helps artists and organisations shape our cultural landscape, increase cultural diversity, and inspire, educate and entertain audiences across Australia and around the world.
The Australian Government believes all Australians, whether in regional areas or major cities, should have access to artistic and cultural activities, performances and exhibitions. Work by arts and cultural organisations and artists can inspire and challenge us, provoke new thoughts and ideas, and give us fresh perspectives on the world.
In sponsoring this category award, the Ministry for the Arts recognises the important role local government has in creating vibrant local communities through arts and cultural activities.
General information about the Ministry for the Arts can be found at the
Arts Animates Category
This award recognises excellence by local governments in building innovative and inspired communities that:
- encourage community engagement and participation in artistic activities;
- support new arts or cultural activities by artists and organisations that bring the community together and celebrate local identity;
- promote cross-sector partnerships, networks or collaborations; and
- build sustainability and encourage commercial success for artists and organisations.
For example, councils could enter projects for this award which involved:
- showcasing emerging and experimental art forms initiated from creative collaborations and partnerships;
- establishing a local community arts, craft, music or theatre group and hosting associated public performances or exhibitions;
- creating opportunities for professional development or employment for local artists including: skills development, training or mentorship program linking emerging artists and communities with established professional artists;
- support for arts initiatives that have enabled young people, people with disability or Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples to celebrate and share arts and cultural activities with local or broader communities;
- designating public and private places for street, visual and/or performance art with strong community engagement; and
- fostering opportunities for the enjoyment of the arts through broad community engagement with professional arts and cultural projects.